Saturday, July 17, 2010

Shabbat (haSheni) Shalom

It feels like each day here is filled with new things and experiences. Even when I don't travel far from the dorm/classes, unexpected things happen. All of you who told me what an adventure this was going to be were right. It is not just going to classes and learning Hebrew. My days continue to be filled with funny, interesting and introspective happenings, for lack of a better word.

I left class early on Thursday as we were having our midterm and I didn't want to take it. How's that for calling the shots? I think at my age I should be able to, right? But nooooooo. My teacher, Ayellet, who I love, told me I could take it at a later date. Great, lol.

Harel picked me up and we went to Jerusalem. First we went to the 9-11 memorial which was really hard to get to and then even harder to see. I was told that it's the only memorial in the world that has every name listed of those who died. It was very somber for both of us.

The memorial is made out of bronze and has a piece of the towers encased. The names of those who died are enscribed around it in panels and there is also a plaque from when it was dedicated.







After we went to the memorial, Harel and I ate at this great restaurant where they served tapas. Tapas has made it to Israel. How small is this world we live in? (I think it's a lot smaller than the hotel the restaurant was connected to since I lost my way back after visiting the sherutim!)


Harel looks tired but he has the most amazing patience in the world. We searched high and low for a certain item I wanted and finally we found it in the shuk. By the end of our shopping I finally got the whole bargaining back and forth with prices thing down. Harel was very proud of me :)

After spending the day together, Harel dropped me off at our cousins at Kibbutz Shefayim. While Shefayim is still a kibbutz, it recently was privatized which has changed a lot of things for people living there. It was a problem that some people in the kibbutz worked very hard and others, not so hard, yet they received the same salaries and benefits. This is a problem for many kibbutzim in Israel nowadays. Shefayim became privatized this past January. Many people bought their own cars but they still have a small fleet of cars from which you can sign up for online. The schools and daycare are no longer free. We did a little shopping over the weekend, rested and ate a lot. I guess eating only vegetables, eggs, cheese and hummos at the dorm finally caught up to me because I ate a lot! Pini and Zivi drove me back going the back way - we drove up Mt. Carmel and the sight was incredible! Unfortunately the pictures didn't give it justice.
Shabbat dinner with cousins Estee, Tzvia, Shaul, Zivi, Gaby and me


Here's Zivi standing next to the stand of Israeli chips. Don't ask me why I took this picture; I just love seeing so much Hebrew, the colors looked great and I asked Ziv to stand next to it cause I wanted her in the picture too!
It's nighttime now and the night is still young. I've been asked by several people to go out to the club but have declined (yeah, I know I'm such a shy person!). Do you think I should have told them I needed to finish my homework?! Nah...
Thanks for your comments- it's so much fun hearing from you!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, delighted to read your blog--keep enjoying this dream come true of yours!!! Remember to take ur Mid-Term then PARTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ttyl love cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie-
    I love reading your blog and being able to participate in this trip with you. Of course I'd much rather be there in person with you, but this is the next best thing. Man, you know a lot of people in Israel, what a bonus. You seem to be busy constantly, doing great things. How fun!!
    Enjoy, keep livin the dream, and keeping us up to date. I love it...
    Miss u...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look positively radiant, which must reflect how wonderful this experience is for you.
    Love your blogs.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your adventures there. It sounds like you really are enjoying Israel. School, homework, and tests take a little fun out of the visit, but you seem to be having a wonderful time. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your blogs. Have never been to Israel. Didn't know about the memorial. Glad you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete