Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Daily Show

I feel so proud when I see the flag of Israel waving!

I have a few moments here and thought I'd give you all a little pictorial view of what happens when I leave my apartment in the morning. This is outside my front door :




This is the front of the building I live in:


This is where I walk on the way home from classes (it looks a little different on the way to class but the distance is the same!)

This is Doobie. I don't think he quite knew what to make of me the first time we met. He is the guard I see daily on the way to classes. We are now friends and he frequently teaches me how to say things in Hebrew. It's funny cause he also often speaks very slowly and a bit louder than necessary, as if that will help me understand :)


This is the first building I need to get to after I pass the guard's booth.


I walk up three flights of stairs to get to the second building pictured here - I then walk up the last two flights of stairs! WHEW!


Finally I am on a flat surface to get to the third building where I will climb more stairs!
This is also the area where we hang out during breaks.



This is Ayellet, my teacher. She is amazing. We have so much fun in her class. I am truly going to miss her and the class. Also, I want to find a good man for her here in Israel so if any of you know that person, let me know ASAP!


And finally, here are a few of my friends from the Ulpan. From left is Marie, who is from Germany. She has graduated from med school and wants to convert to Judaism and make Aliyah. That's me in the middle. Maya is from Sweden. speaks great Hebrew and is learning how to read and write better and she thinks she wants to make Aliyah. And now I can't remember where Rosa is from, but know it's in the U.S. She started our fan page for the Ulpan.

All in all, the routine to class is pretty much the same everyday. I often walk with someone or alone. Alone is good because I get a chance to think about being here, my life and what I'm going to do next.. The last subject has yet to be determined!

At this time I'm trying very hard to stay present. The other day on the way to class I thought, "School is so hard; I don't know if I can do this for two more weeks" and then when I got to class and sat down, I immediately thought, "I can't believe in less than two weeks I'm not going to be able to come to class anymore" and that was it. Off and on, during the whole class period my eyes teared up. It was like I breathed in one thought and breathed out the other.

And now here's something funny: Today I looked around the class and it came to me that I was older than everyone! Of course I know and knew this, but I think for the past two weeks I forgot, even though I talk about Jeff and the kids, I still forgot. Pretty crazy and made me smile inside. I wonder if anyone else forgot...yeah, right!
Ok. I'm off to do laundry! Nothing like laundry to get you present again!

Love and miss you all.
Love Israel.
Love, Debbie

9 comments:

  1. Well Debbie, you don't look older than the others and I'm guessing you don't feel that much older than them either.
    When I did the Volunteers for Israel program I felt much as you do. I did not want to come home. My way of coping was to keep buying fresh flowers and then I would buy more vases so I could have more flowers. Keep doing great. Can't wait to hear all the details. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. For whatever reason I haven't been able to post any comments. Sharon, did you notice how incredible the milk products are in Israel?! Maybe that's the reason I haven't lost any weight even though I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest more than once!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,

    Every day as you ascend those many steps to your classroom, you are literally making Aliyah, "going up," reaching new Hebrew heights daily. Now that's profound!!

    Lovely surprise chat with you this morning.

    Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you say "you look radiant" in Hebrew?

    Hey, just asking.

    I like Sharon's "fresh flowers" comment.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Debbie,

    I'm so proud of you and all you are going through in Israel. It's lots of hard work, but I know you love being there. Your photos are fabulous. Thank you for them and your explanatioin of all that's going on there.
    Much love,
    Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best post yet Mom. You know my favorite things to read of are about the routine stuff and the "in between" details. Your route in and out of your apartment building will prove to be just as memorable as your super fun weekend excursions. I read half this post on an iPad at the Apple store in downtown Portland and the other half on my iPod on my friend Dan's couch. Went to a great beer festival today and heading to Maria's bbq tonight. I'll be finding you some new followers!

    Love you, Ben

    PS ate a big falafel pita for lunch from a street vendor in your honor! It was superb, but not as good as a homegrown Israeli one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie - I do remember the dairy products being spectacular in Israel. You don't even want to know how much fat there is in that stuff. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...Sharon, I guess that's why I'm not losing any weight, lol! Really loved the way you wrote about making Aliyah as I go up the stairs to learn Hebrew Sara. Benj - I'm going to have to eat another falafel just to take a picture of it.
    Yea, I know it's a sacrifice, but I'm willing to do it ;) Aunt Ann - miss you!
    And to Z...thanks!!! I like the flowers idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debra,

    Hope this email finds you well and enjoying your trip. I have tried on many occasions to post to your blog, but with two left hands I have been unable to do it properly. I have sent this email to Jeff in the hopes he will post it to you.

    Your trip is half over and can't wait to see you and discuss your adventures. Enjoy the rest of your trip knowing I am thinking about you.

    With much love always,
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete