Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Day to Remember




How long have I been here?

Each day is so different from the one before that there are times that I still can't believe I'm even here. Class remains challenging, hard and fun. We have a good time learning but I think at times, each one of us is doing an internal exorcist head spin. There are so many verbs to conjugate and in so many ways! Often I know what to say but my tongue gets twisted. Today we had a guest speaker who spoke only in Hebrew about the myth of equality between the sexes in Israel. It was quite interesting for me. I think that many people believe that the country is totally, (how you say? <--just kidding with that English!) equal between the sexes since the women serve in the army, Golda Meir was Prime Minister and now Tzipi Livni was elected to a high position. Ha! According to this lecturer that's a joke. I'm not sure if there is any difference here on this issue than from anywhere else in the world.
Yesterday was wonderful! Harel, another friend who was a camper that we hosted, picked me up from the Ulpan and we drove to Jerusalem. First we went to the mall and had lunch near McDonald's. It was a long drive to Jerusalem with a lot of congestion, some due to construction -yes, even in Israel there's construction but here this is a good thing. More important, the family of Gilad Shalit started a walk from their home in the north to the Knesset (Parliment) in Jerusalem to draw attention to the plight of their son. They were walking by the freeway with the aid of the police and this was really something. Gilad Shalit is the soldier that was taken four years ago this month, in the Lebanon War. His family publicized the walk on FaceBook and now there are over 10,000 people walking with them.
We finally got to Jerusalem, found a place to park and headed to the Western Wall. Once there it was a totally different experience, unlike any I've ever had at The Wall. Tears poured and poured out as I prayed for everyone I know and their loved ones and our world. It came as such a surprise for me. Then, very carefully I placed each and every note that many of you gave me into the cracks. I think there was so much energy held in each of these notes that the praying and placing them in The Wall released it all. I have nothing to compare it to and am still in awe of the experience. May my prayers be answered for you and yours. Amen.
Sending you all love from Israel,
Debbie

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Debbie for all your words and energy. It surely keeps our awareness of your home country alive. (I too am thinking of Gilad Shalit. The Prime Minister spoke of him last night on Larry King. xo from Canada.....Paula Spengen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Debbie,
    Tears welled up in me as I read your moving "Wall" experience. What an honor and privilege for you to hold all the prayers from family and friends, including ours and then be lovingly and gently placed into such a Sacred and Holy structure. Louis and I and our family, are so proud of you as you begin your intense studies in Hebrew. As for Gliad Shalit, we too are praying for safe return to his family. Love and Shalom, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,

    I'm so thrilled that you are getting to experience all this, but I'm even more excited that you're able to be really "present" to take it all in. I had the exact same experience last summer as I approached and touched that wall. I get chills just thinking about it. A million billion thank yous for putting my bird's name and prayer in there, as well as a prayer for our friend who has been sick (though he's doing much better!!).
    Miss you, love you and I'm sooooo jealous!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your story about your trip to the Wall. Jenna had the same feeling when she went earlier this year. Can't wait to go back. Looking forward to your next blog. Peace

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debs,

    Glad to see that you made it safe and sound and are having such a profound experience. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

    Cousin Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. This trip has been so much more than I expected in the mere week that I've been here, I can't imagine what the next three weeks will bring. It was an honor to put everyone's prayers in The Wall, and to pray and I thank YOU. I've gotten some emails that have spoken of feeling better these past few days, before I even wrote about it. So, I suggest you all come here :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Debbie,

    I'm so very proud of you, and I thank you for putting all of those wishes (notes) in the cracks of The Wall. Your blogs are so interesting. I look forward to all of them.
    Much love,
    Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debala:
    Your days sound so complete! Reading about the people, the teachings, the mall!!!!
    So excited for you and your journey.
    Sending love and kisses.
    carol

    ReplyDelete