Monday, July 26, 2010

staying present once again

This is a statue that I see daily on my walk to class. Funny thing is, several people who I spoke to about it hadn't even noticed it, even though it is right there. I finally went up to see what was written about it and there wasn't anything; however I did see the word Shalom written several times on its trunk and roots. So maybe it's the tree of life, but I decided to me its the tree of peace.


The days are getting shorter here and as my days in Israel dwindle down, I'm reminded of so many things I've become aware of and learned. These are just a few of those things and in no particular order....


1. Staying present
The more present I am, the more I appreciate where I am and who I'm with.

2. My brain really works.
I have been so concerned with my memory since my mom had TIA's and then developed Alzheimer's. This month I have grown by leaps and bounds and in so many ways. But best of all, I know that I am totally and mentally right on target.


3. Fulfilling a dream is awesome.
I won't stop dreaming of what I want in life; I just need to remember to believe in it too.


4. Sometimes it has to be uncomfortable in order for things to change but change can bring wonderful and gratifying rewards.


5. The 25 year old playful woman inside me is still alive!

6. The wealth of wisdom from my years makes it worth getting older.


7. I am exactly where I should be.


8. There are so many Jews in so many places of the world who don't look Jewish, or not how I think Jewish people look!


9. Seeing and hearing from people back home brings me great emotional satisfaction, along with feelings of love and gratitude.


10. There's no place like home but I sure did learn a lot by leaving it for a short while. Or maybe it was the act of leaving my comfort zone. Either way, it was really worth it.


One of my workout friends once told us about a man she met who when she asked how he was, he replied "This is one of the best days of my life". When she asked why, he said there was no special reason. How beautiful is that?

Today, simply is, one of the best days of my life.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Debbie,
    You sound so happy in Israel, and so "together".
    Your blogs are a delight to read. Thank you for them. Take care of yourself, and enjoy all of it.
    Lots of love,
    Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I know that I can come and find you to say this - but this tie I really felt like I wanted to write something to you.
    Your post was beautiful, simple and extremely moving. We had a lecture a few weeks back about what do we understand by the word 'home' and about where we need to be to really begin to understand what moves us, what's important to us and how we relate to the world. And the suggestions was that in actual fact we can't do any of those thigs at 'home', but just like Avraham, Issac and Jacob we all need to leave in order to find 'G-d' whatever that means to each of us and for all of us these are different things and different things at different times.
    Debbie it has been great knowing you and I salute your courage not just to stride out and 'look', but also in sharing some of that with us/me. Thank you.
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,
    Your Blog is beautiful, you have always had this inside of you and it took a trip to Israel for it to be sealed. Never lose your zest for life at any age. Continue to enjoy these last few days of your dream trip come true---Love you, Cheryl xoxo
    PS thanks for the prayer for L and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Debbie-
    You sound fantastic! There is no doubt that this trip was the exact right thing for you. Not that you don't sound fantastic at home, you do, but the things you are learning about yourself needed to come out on this type of adventure.
    I loved reading your post and I'm going to try to learn from it myself. Staying in the moment can be a real challenge sometimes. I'm glad you are mastering that, I'm going to try to work on it myself.
    BTW, I want a peace tree!! Find out how to grow one of those on U.S. soil. It's beautiful and looks pretty low maintenance!!
    Enjoy the rest of your trip...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie - I loved your tree of life. Staying present is so important and you have reminded me to do more of that. Thank you......Paula xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!
    How happy and content you seem to be. What fun adventures you are having! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Sometimes going out of our comfort zone brings out some great surprises.

    ReplyDelete