Sunday, July 4, 2010

Settling In

I am here. Here in Israel.
After a very shaky start - not feeling 100% before leaving (better now), lost suitcase ( arrived 1 day late), lost mouse (found) and almost losing new computer (I got it back), I'm very happy to report that all is wonderful! And here I thought for a month things might be less chaotic in my life!

Saturday our family friend Ziv picked me up at the airport. We went to see his sister and her family and then on to his family home, to a dinner that I can only describe as absolutely scrumptious! Ziv's dad made it (Jeff, are you reading this??)! We talked in Hebrew most of the evening and it was (how you say?) magniv (magnificant)!

Now here's the scoop on the great grocery store we went to...they only sell food! Incredible food..think Plum, Whole Foods, Shopping Center combined with tons of fresh fruit and vegetables, a gazillion spices and every food item you can possibly imagine. But there were no toiletries or paper goods. The cashier told me if I spent an extra $1 on anything, I would save several dollars on the whole bill. Apparently they will tell you this anytime it's possible, which turns out to be often. You also have to bag your own groceries.

Got to the dorm and it was and still is very HOT. But enough about that. I have only one roomate and she is from Belgium. At first I was disappointed there weren't more people with us, but I've heard different stories this morning and I think this will suit me just fine. People come for all different reasons and are from so many countries. Many of them are not Jewish which makes me feel good; maybe they will be our ambassadors and promote Israel. Last night I hung out with Kath from England, Jasmine from Hungary, Johannes from Austria and Carol from Maine.

My computer has been a bit of a challenge from finding the Israeli network to be connected to having to translate from Hebrew where and what to sign in on FaceBook and especially my blog. All this with a new computer. Ooooah! My next feat will be getting a picture on here.

All in all, I still find myself welling up with tears that I am actually here.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb,
    Sorry to hear about your luggage and computer issues, delighted you have arrived safely. Nice your friends met you and you were able to enjoy a wonderful dinner and Hebrew speaking evening!!! Israel I am sure is a lot hotter than we are here--but yesterday we were in the mid 90's with much humidity--no rain expected until Wed or Thurs to cool things down a bit.
    How is your Roommate--delighted there is only one-do u have a fan for your dorm room? Bet you could use one--should have packed in the saver bags!! ;) LOL
    When do you begin classes? When you able please post pics--I understand this maybe difficult--but Deb you are intelligent and will figure this all out!! Take Care look forward to reading more on your blog. Love Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie
    OMG what a wonderful experience this has to be at this time in your life. Not many of us get to realize such a lifetime dream- as a matter of fact most of us don't even have one to realize!!! It is so easy to be complacent.
    I didn't realize you were conversant in Hebrew. When did that happen? Puts you way ahead of some of your fellow students there I would imagine.
    I'm so excited for you. Have a wonderful month.
    Love Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Debbie,

    Sending thoughts and prayers from Michigan! Have fun and be safe. I look forward to more blogs!
    Love Deann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Debbie,
    I rode with Ben today ( BTW, he is one of my favorite 26 yearl old friends, and probably one of the cutest)
    He told me you were off on your adventure, how proud I am of you. I know you told me you were going to Israel , but this, I had no idea. You are living the life of our kids, meeting new and interesting people, having challenging and somewhat exotic experiences (unlike what you would have in the WB. Looking worward to living vicariously through your life, as I do my kids.
    Be well, be safe
    b'shalom
    De-De

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Debbie,
    SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE SAFE and that you finally got your luggage remember we were just talking about lost luggage when you were over. DEBBIE the wedding was so beautiful but we really missed you. I MISS talking to you but know you are having a great time. We are in Solon with the kids and having a wonderful time soaking up the sun.Tried to call you today but could not get through for some reason. Will try another time. Take care and we will follow your blog. Hugs and Kisses. Sharon and Bob

    ReplyDelete